Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Keeping it Simple Jicama & Pineapple Salad

I've turned over a new leaf this year. Life is busy and I'm spending less time on cooking up actual recipes and trying to keep it really simple in the kitchen. I'm just loading the fridge with fruits and veggies, whatever looks great at the grocery or farmer's market, and seeing what inspiration hits me at mealtime. I can't say I'm leaving all the cooking to the last minute, last-minute isn't really part of my personality, but by having some simple ingredients on hand like cooked whole grains, canned or cooked beans, tofu, tempeh, and plenty of veggies, the meal prep is a lot quicker than it used to be. And I'm leaving the fancy cooking for weekends when there is more time. This salad came to life the other day because of a small-sized jicama that had to be made into something before it turned into compost. There was also a 1/4 of a fresh pineapple in the fridge. The pineapple adds just the right amount of sweetness to the crunchy jicama, all brought together with tangy lime juice and zest. This is a no-oil salad that goes together with just a little chopping. 

1 small to medium sized jicama, peeled and cut into slices and then into matchsticks
1/4 fresh pineapple, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
zest and juice of 1 lime
That's it!  (i sprinkled 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro for garnish)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment